Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Green things

Today I got the last piece of my birthday present. I guess I am now officially 32 and all of the month long celebrations are complete.

On my desk I have a lovely green Rosemary Bonsai tree. The smell is phenomenal and is actually going straight to my head (at home I won't be sitting on top of it, so no worries).


It's so pretty!

I'm reading all about the care and feeding of an indoor bonsai right now. I hope I'm up to the challenge. The sad houseplants in our apartment would probably tell a different story, but I'm hopeful.

Can't wait to get it home and unwrap it!

But I'm nervous. Apparently these things take some work, which I'm not notorious for keeping up with. (Hey, knowledge is power, right?) I'll be pruning the branches and the roots.

It would appear that bonsai are traditionally outdoor plants, I never knew that. I DO know that my outdoor options are death to plants (as evidenced by my botched container garden this summer). My porch is an inferno for plants.

Okay, I'm back to feeling nervous. I just read about watering the bonsai. This website ends with the adage, "Watering is a learned skill in Japan an apprentice is given pruning shears on his first day but he won't touch a watering can for another four years!" If that's not written to inspire fear, I don't know what is.


Oh, and wish me luck.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am confident in your ability to keep this plant alive. Unless you wind up baking a lot of chicken... Then that poor bonsai is so screwed...

Lisa <-- Kinda Like A Ninja