Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Passing of a good man

I am moved to share something about a man I very barely knew. Duke Sir Morguhn Sheridan died yesterday from injuries sustained in a fall. He was a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism. He was well known and well respected in the Society and now I know why.

This is part of a written memorial of him:
"He taught me more about doing what needs to be done, because it needs to be done, than anyone else I know. You do not just sit back and think “oh someone else will get up and go wash dishes. Someone will set up the list field. Someone will think to do that.” Because, you know what… you are someone. He taught me the hardest lesson of all… if you can’t be noticed and acknowledged for your actions in your own right, what makes you think a bit of regalia will make their notice valid? It will be a false honor. Strength comes from perseverance and continuing to do what you do and what you know needs to be done. Fighting your own fights does not make you weak. But at the same time, there is no shame in calling on resources when you have them.

I learned from him that you do what needs to be done, and if you believe that what you did is right, do not be ashamed of it, but be prepared for any consequences that come and give fair warning so those that may have to handle the fall out are adequately prepared." - Baroness Ekaterina Volkova, OP

I am humbled and inspired by these words. Of course he had honors and awards that I could never aspire to, but these words... They remind me that we should all be doing something. Why wait for someone else to do it for us?

1 comment:

Annapants! said...

Very true words indeed!